E-mail MeJoseph Lodato
Joe Lodato has over thirteen years of law enforcement experience and served for three years with the Knox County District Attorney’s Office from 2005 to 2008, in addition to clerking for both the District Attorney’s Office and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Knoxville, TN. In 2008, Joe entered private practice with the Law Offices of Banks and Jones, where he practiced criminal law and appeals, family and juvenile law and personal injury law. Joe brings a balanced and insightful approach to litigation and the practice of criminal law. He has conducted countless hearings in General Sessions courts as well as participating in multiple trials in Juvenile and Criminal court.
Among Joe’s many hobbies, bicycling is at the top of his list. He has raised money as a cyclist for Team in Training to help fight blood cancers and has also served as a coach and mentor for that organization. When conditions permit, Joe is known to commute to his job via bicycle.
Joe was born and raised in Denville, NJ, where he attended Morris Knolls High School. He graduated from James Madison University, earning a B.A. in English and earned his Juris Doctor from University of Tennessee College of Law in 2005. Joe served as Professor Neil Cohen’s Graduate Assistant while at the College of Law and assisted in authoring legal treatises and study aids, as well as co-authoring several drafts of proposed changes to Tennessee Rules of procedure.
Joe is a member of the Knoxville Bar Association and past member and officer of Police Benevolence Association numbers 43 and 151 in Morristown, NJ, as well as the Morristown (NJ) Ambulance Squad.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law/Defense
- Civil Law/Construction Law
- Family Law/Orders of Protection
- Appeals/Appellate Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Tennessee, 2005
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 2009
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 2005
- Honors: Dean's List
- James Madison University , Harrisonburg, Virginia
- B.A. - 1989
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: English
- Antitrust (Case Commentary), 6 TRANSACTIONS: TENN. J. BUS. L. 215 , Fall, 2004
Honors and Awards
- Voted one of CityView Magazine's Top Attorneys in the area of Juvenile Law and Defense, 2010 - 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Knoxville Bar Association , Member, 2005 - 2011
- American Inns of the Court, Member , 2008 - 2011
Past Employment Positions
- Law Offices of Banks and Jones, Attorney , 2008 - 2011
- Knox County District Attorney General's Office , Assistant District Attorney , 2005 - 2008
- Morristown, NJ Bureau of Police, Police Officer , 1995 - 2002
- Morristown, NJ Sheriff's Office , Sheriff's Officer , 1990 - 1995
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal Aid of East Tennessee's Saturday Bar, 2003 - 2005